Purple Orange and Green Vegetables


1 bunch long bubbly leaf kale
3 lg. carrots
1/2 head of purple cabbage

I went to our local Whole Foods Co-Op today.  (Not to be confused with Whole Foods - this is a Co-Op with the same name, and I haven't a clue just how they're able to do that. . .)  I usually go there with 2 or 3 things in mind, then after perusing all the aisles, including the soup and hot food, deli area, I invariably end up backtracking.


Today there was this great looking hot carrot, kale and red cabbage thing.  I decided I had to make it, the instant I got home!  I had carrots, but not enough red cabbage, and no kale.  I've had bad luck picking good kale.  A friend of mine makes this phenomenal raw kale salad with toasted sesame Asian dressing that's just awful every time I make it.  I finally found the right kind of kale!  I have no idea what it's called, but the leaves are long, oval shaped and they have a bubbly texture.

That's the best I can do!  I just devoured a big bowl of this and it's awesome!  Maybe tomorrow I'll grill up some chicken breasts to go with the rest of this.  IF there's any left by then.

Wash the kale well to be sure all the sand is rinsed away.  Slice lengthwise, cutting away the center rib, then slice crosswise.  Scrub and chop the carrots.  Chop the cabbage and combine everything in a 3qt. pot.  Add a little water, then cover and simmer 20-30 minutes until tender.  Drain all the liquid into a freezer container and save to use as soup stock.  Add a little butter and coarse sea salt, toss and serve.  This is a really good vegetable mix and with some nuts added would be a great vegetarian main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment