Kitchen Tips and Tools. . .

I was cleaning up after breakfast just now and realize I have some really special, favorite things in my kitchen that I couldn't be without.  Sometimes the simple, inexpensive things are the best, or at least I've found that to be the case.  I thought I'd share a couple of them with you here.

Years ago, a good friend bought me some very expensive, knives as a Christmas present.  You'd know the name if you're A Foodie.  Starts with a W and their little symbol is sort of a pitchfork trademark.  He bought me a chef's knife, what I call my Tomato Knife, and a small paring knife.  The total for these 3, back then, was right around $300.00.  Today they go for closer to $400.  I cherished them for a couple years before realizing - They just weren't all that great!  They didn't sharpen well, nor did they hold their edge.  Around that time I was in a fabulous Asian Market about an hour away from my home in Northern Wisconsin.  I found myself in the knife aisle.  It was there I discovered KIWI knives!!  Hooray!!  To duplicate the 3 different, expensive knives, from my friend, I probably spent $25.00!!  Today, the ones I currently have are, a set of 8 of the steak knives, which I also use as paring knives.  They're on the far left - #501.  I also have 6 of the Chef's Knives - 4th from the left, #171.
~ ~ ~ ~ Pair these with an inexpensive 2 or 3 slot sharpener and you're good to go for YEARS!! ~ ~ ~ ~

Another wonderful, recent find, is this amazing German invention!!  You can read about these here SKOY - They're everything they're claimed to be - and more.  While available online, if you're lucky enough to have a local kitchen store, I'd encourage you to shop there.  I bought a pack of 4 of these at Duluth Kitchen Co. for under $9.00.  I'm so fortunate and thankful to have TWO Amazing Kitchen Stores here!  I buy all my cooking and baking tools, appliances and utensils locally now, and feel the need to support them in any way I can.  In fact, tonight, I'm heading over to The Blue Heron for another great cooking class led by one of our Talented Local Chefs, teaching us about Soups Of The World!  With taste-testing of each to follow, of course!

Last, for today, is another plug for an Excellent Duluth, MN business.  The Epicurean Cutting Board folks originally lived in a house on Belmont, where my daughter and her fiance', Scott, previously lived, and Scott currently owns as a rental!  So, there's been a lot of creativity happening under that roof over the years! 

These cutting boards are amazing!  At The Blue Heron they have a couple huge restaurant size they use in our classes.  I keep lusting after them, but actually, my favorites of theirs are their simple, thin Camp Series boards, shown in this photo.  Here is a link to the website, telling all about their ecologically sound, environmentally friendly kitchen tools!  EPICUREAN

Buy yourself, or a foodie you love, several! 😊  As always. . .Be Creative & Happy Cooking To You!! . . . Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment