Barley-Vegetable (Shrimp) Spring Rolls


1 med. carrot - grated
1 pickling cucumber
4 sm. green onions
1c romaine lettuce
½c cabbage
4 radishes
1T soy sauce
juice of half a lime
1c cooked barley
cooked, frozen salad shrimp*
rice papers


Well. . .this is my first attempt at making these!  They're something I really love, so it'll be a fun, new adventure!  My daughter was on a Spring Roll spree a couple years ago and I guess I just wasn't ready to expand into that area back then.  But lately, every time I have them, I swear I'm going to try making my own.  A couple days ago at the grocery store, in the Asian food section, what should I see. . .Rice Papers!!  Just begging to come home with me 😃 Sooo, I think today's the day!

Next time I make these I'll use sliced avocado and rice noodles, but now I have a little leftover barley from a casserole I made yesterday, so I'll use some of that in each one for my 'starch.'  I mostly thin-sliced or chopped the vegetables - since I wanted to mix them all with the barley, lime juice and soy sauce - rather than cut them in julienne strips and layer them on the rice paper.  Maybe I'll do that next time.  Once all the vegetables are combined with the barley and liquid ingredients, stir well.

When you're ready to assemble the Spring Rolls, put a little hot water about 2" deep in a large frying pan.  Dip the rice papers, one half at a time, into the water for just a couple seconds each.  Lay the damp rice paper on a large, smooth cutting board.  Begin assembling the ingredients in lines.  In my case today, just 2 lines.  Start rolling on the vegetable side by putting the crescent shaped flap over them.  Roll tightly one time around.  Now put the left and right edge of the rice paper on top and continue to roll, including the shrimp *omit if you'd rather keep this vegan.  Roll to the end, making sure the rice paper sticks to itself.  If not, rub on a little more water to the edge of the flap rolling last.

I found a YouTube video, demonstrating this spring roll technique.  I combined several ideas to create a slightly spicy Hoisin Peanut Dipping Sauce.

1T toasted sesame oil
2 lg. cloves garlic
1T peanut butter
⅓c hoisin sauce
½t± garlic chili sauce*
3T water
1T honey

Put the oil and finely-minced garlic in a small pan over medium-high heat.  Stir occasionally until the garlic is browned.  Remove from heat, add remaining ingredients.  If you don't have garlic chili sauce you could substitute *sriracha sauce.  Stir until blended and serve with the spring rolls.  Mine turned out a little messy and loose, certainly not like those I've had in Thai and Vietnamese restaurants!  Practice needed!  This recipe will make about 12 spring rolls.  If you have leftover barley and vegetables, you can serve it in a little bowl with some toasted sesame dressing for a different take on an Asian salad. . .😋. . .Lin

1 comment: