Millie's Tomato-Cucumber Salad

~ 1c white vinegar
~ 1c white sugar
~ 1/4c light vegetable oil
~ salt and pepper
1 Vidalia onion
2 med. red tomatoes
5 pickling cucumbers
3 Genovese basil leaves

My mother-in-law, Millie, used to make this regularly and I loved it!  I often make a variation, but almost never exactly follow her dressing recipe since it's so high in sugar.

Once in a while however. . .Such as a Family Dinner for my Daughter's Birthday. . .I'll make an exception.  ðŸ˜Š

Combine the dressing ingredients ~ in a pint mason jar and shake well.  Partially peel the cucumbers, thin-slice the onion, tomatoes and cucumbers into a bowl, add basil, sliced very thin, (optional).  Pour dressing over the salad, toss several times during the first hour and refrigerate until time to serve. 😋

No comments:

Post a Comment