Potato Basil Gnocchi

I went to one of my favorite places the other day, the Duluth Kitchen Co. * in the Fitger's Building here.  Oh my. . .  Of course there were several things calling to me there, but one that was a complete surprise!  I've never been much of a bread-potato-pasta-dumpling person, but when I saw the Cucina Viva Basil Gnocchi, and the Tri-Color Gnocchi. . .for $2.89 each!!  I knew I would be buying those.  Gnocchi's, basically, are small potato dumplings.  Simple recipe and very easy to make from scratch I'm told.  However, at this price, I might opt to just buy them. :-)  Yet, I could see these would be so easy, fun and flavorful to make!  I'd probably skip the flour, and make mine with Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs, finely grated flavorful cheese, an egg or two, some baby red mashed potatoes, a little half and half if needed, salt and pepper, and probably not much else.

However, I'm getting sidetracked here, this time I made a chunky sauce using the ingredients shown, finely mincing the 3 large garlic cloves, plus one large, chopped white onion.  Those were simmered in a little extra virgin olive oil then, when the onion was translucent, I added the tomatoes, and simmered while the gnocchi was cooking.  I kept the sauce simple, and it was fantastic — however, I would also consider adding grated carrot, finely chopped zucchini to the saute' process then a splash of Vodka and stir in a dollop of sour cream at the very end for a Vodka Cream sauce, heavier on vegetables.

Shown here, served with chopped cilantro and some flavorful grated cheese.


OH MY. . .I see, in a Google Image search, Cucina Viva also has cheese, spinach and many other flavors available.  This sort of dinner is so good once in a while.  I made this several days ago and for me, it will make 4-5 breakfasts, lunches or dinners.  Bellisimo! Italian! Comfort! Food!  And the way it scents your kitchen, each time you reheat it!  Awwww, just the best! . . . Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment