Another Healthy Dog Food Option


1 5oz. chorizo sausage
1# sliced side pork
⅓ purple cabbage
2 chopped carrots
2 sweet potatoes
2c cauliflower
2 stalks celery

2 big chunks of oatmeal cornbread


I was organizing and cleaning out my 'fridge and freezer and this was all in my throw-away pile.  Then I realized, if put together properly, this could be another option to supplement the dry food I feed my dogs.

Start by finely chopping any freezer-dried meat you want to use for this.  Chorizo is pretty spicy, so I decided to only use one sausage.  The other two went back in the freezer for another dog food adventure!  To this I added the finely chopped, old, tired out, cabbage, celery and carrots.  Cover and simmer this slowly, to bring out all the fat in the meat, for a half hour or so, stirring occasionally until everything's starting to sizzle and snap.  If needed, add a little bit of water, then cover and continue to cook until the meat is done and the vegetables are soft.

At the very end, I add the crumbled, gluten-free cornbread I found in the back of the freezer.  I have a 14-year old Pitbull mix dog that has bad issues with grain in her diet.  I've been feeding her grain-free dry food for many years, which totally fixed the digestive problems she used to have.  She does well with oatmeal and cornbread that contains no wheat, and just loves it.

I only use these homemade dog foods as a supplement to their usual dry food.  They normally each get 1c of dry in the morning and evening.  When I make homemade food for them I cut their dry amount back to ½c for the evening feeding only, mixed with ½c of their usual dry food and some hot water.  I let it sit for a while to warm up the homemade food, which I store in the fridge in a Tupperware type container.  Needless to say they're smacking their doggy-lips while they wait. 😋 

If you decide to cook for your pups, PLEASE research what sort of foods they can and canNOT have.  Dogs are very sensitive to raisins, grapes, chocolate, garlic and onion. . .among others.  These can all be quite toxic to dogs.
Be Bold, Adventurous and try cooking for your Furry Buddies!  They'll love it! . . . Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment