When You're Snowed In - Make Doggy Meatloaf!

2# ground beef
3 med.-lg. carrots
½ lg. green cabbage
3-4c peas or pea pods
1 cored-chopped apple
1c plain Greek yogurt
1½c quick rolled oats
⅓c nutritional yeast
2T tomato paste
2 eggs


Happy  Wednesday  Everyone!!

I've been snowed-in since early Sunday morning.  I have no idea when my Snowmen will get here to plow, snow-blow and shovel me out.  Penny and Oliver had the very last of their dry, bagged food for breakfast.  By 3pm, their tummies will be growling!  Hmm. . .What to do?


My Old Girl, Penny (right) is allergic to wheat and some other grains.  In the past, I've combined a few simple, healthy ingredients to add a little specialness to their boring, daily kibble.  Since it's a read-and-study day for me, I think I'll add a Doggy Meatloaf to my agenda!  😛 



After thawing the beef, I combined it with the finely chopped vegetables, and an apple in a big bowl. (core the apple, since the seeds contain cyanide).  I added the remaining ingredients and mixed well.  This nicely filled the roaster I use to cook 17# turkeys!  Bake at 350° for an hour.  Cool a bit before serving.

Freeze slightly then scoop out or cut the meatloaf into ½ - 1c portions, depending on the size of your dog.  Bag and freeze, taking out only what you need in the morning, for an evening feeding.  My dogs are both just under 40#, so when I cook for them, they each get just under 1 cup of dry food in the morning.  In the evening it's ½c each of my food, dry food and hot water.  I  chop this all up and let it stand 10 minutes to soak the dry food before giving it to them.

You can switch the feedings to suit your schedule and your dog's needs.  I once heard from a dog breeder that he liked to give them special foods, or a little bigger feeding in the evening so they'd sleep better.  I've found that works best for my pups.

If you decide to make food for you dogs, please Google 'foods that are toxic to dogs' before starting.  Chocolate, raisins, grapes, garlic and onions are absolutely "nevers," and there are others.  In certain quantities, these can make them very sick and can also cause death.  Please be careful what you put in their bowls!  So, today, when life gave me snow. . .it's meatloaf for my pups! ❄️ 🐶 ❄️ . . . Lin  

No comments:

Post a Comment