Cranberry-Nectarine Yogurt Smoothie

I've had several autoimmune health issues, progressively worsening, over the past several years.  Additionally, it appears my metabolism is shifting.  Some days I'm not at all hungry, while during others, I'm ravenous!  During those that are less food oriented, I'm also more productive and feel more energetic.  My sleep patterns are similarly wonky.  Some nights I'm not tired and only sleep 4-5 hours, but after a short stretch of that, I'll usually find myself half asleep by 7pm.  I crash and sleep 10 or more hours.  I know activity, fresh air, routine and consistency all come into play - and - I'm working on it.

I also would like to get all sugar out of my diet.  I'm doing pretty well, with the one exception being a tiny pinch of natural sugar or honey in my tea or coffee, or a smoothie when I need a quick energy boost or to wipe out a sudden sweet craving.  This morning has been a very hungry one, preceded by a busy day yesterday where I didn't eat a lot.  Today I had some leftover turkey, wild rice and vegetables for breakfast, then a bit later, a bowl of steamed and fresh vegetable salad (which I haven't posted yet.)  While those were really healthy choices, I was hungry again and it was only noon!  So, this is my attempt to quench the hunger and the sweet craving for today.


6-8 oz. unsweetened cranberry juice
2T ground flax and chia seeds
¾-1c plain Greek yogurt
2 sm. pitted nectarines
1T Pumpkin Pie Spice
2T Lingonberry jam
½ lemon - seeded

Yes, cut the lemon in half, remove the seeds then put the actual fruit part AND peel in with the other ingredients.  Blend this all together for a couple minutes on high.  Makes 3-4 cups.  I wish you success in keeping your food, sleep, productivity, energy and activities all in balance! . . .Lin

2 comments:

  1. I love that kind of yogurt! Did you get it at Aldi??

    I never would have thought of putting the peel in there too. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I did Sandi. I love Aldi's! It's quite a drive from my house, but well worth it. As near as I can figure - item for item - what I pay $65 - $70 for at Aldi would cost me about $100 anywhere else! There are things they don't have, but as a general rule, in summer, I like to shop at the Farmer's Markets and Aldi's first, then go elsewhere for all the other things still on my list. If I'm shopping elsewhere and don't have time to get to Aldi's, I ALWAYS try to buy Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt. I saw a documentary on the company founder and I love his attitude toward refugees and sending money back to his homeland. I strongly support his philosophies and mission.

    ReplyDelete