Southwest Vegetables

24oz. nopalito strips - canned cactus
1 can black beans - drain and rinse
same amount of frozen or canned corn
1T dehydrated minced onion
½-¾ chunky salsa - use mild

feta, parmesan or asiago cheese
seasoned panko bread crumbs


Drain and rinse the cactus - many times!  They're pretty spicy and also very salty.  Had I realized that sooner, I would have used a milder salsa.  Combine the first group of ingredients, let stand an hour to rehydrate the onions, then serve, heated with cheese and breadcrumbs.  This makes a wonderful Mexican Vegetable Casserole!  I'm a total vegetable freak and just love things like this.

While visiting my sister, north of Tucson, AZ, we scored some amazing nopalitos, which are the pads of the prickly pear cactus, at a local Farmer's Market.  Sadly, after de-'spiking' and prepping them, I forgot an all important step to get rid of the slime.  That cooking adventure ended up in the garbage!  This turned out so well!  If I'd had onion and colorful peppers today, I might have also added celery and omitted the corn and beans.  But it will be great when I make it that way also.

Be Bold, Be Adventurous - Happy Cooking! . . . Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment