Joann's Danish Cabbage

I've posted this twice before, but it always bears repeating. This recipe is not original with me, but rather comes from an old friend, Joann. I've made changes to it over the years but always end up back close to the original. When I start with a recipe that's nearly perfect, it's best to stay true to it. The only exceptions regarding changes, have been my addition of black pepper, and using a different flavor of the jelly at the end. It does seem necessary, but the recipe says to use current jelly, which would have made my English Grandmother happy. That's all she ever bought!  However, to me, that has a metallic flavor, so I've experimented. Plum would be perfect and I think a sour cherry would also be good. I've used elderberry and orange marmalade in the past, but today. I'm going to use a rosehip fruit spread I found in a specialty food shop.  It's made in Germany by a family that's been doing this for over 125 years. It has a nice, interesting flavor! You should try any flavor you think would go well with the cabbage, as long as it's relatively smooth and doesn't contain seeds.


1 med.-lg. head of purple cabbage
½c white vinegar
½c sugar
¼c butter
1t salt
½t black pepper
¼c rosehip fruit spread


Cut the cabbage in quarters and remove the core. Cut each quarter into thirds, lengthwise and then chop, crosswise. Put in a heavy 3qt. pot, add all remaining ingredients except the jelly. Cover and simmer on low heat, 2-3 hour, stirring occasionally. At the end, stir in the jelly. You can serve it immediately, but it's much better when made a day ahead and reheated. IF there are leftovers, they store well, covered in the 'fridge for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment