Extra Virgin Mojitos - (x4)




I used to make a mean Mojito! (my drink of choice) with rum, or sometimes I'd make Mojito Martinis with Vodka. I gave up alcohol last December but found I was missing these. When I broke it down though, I realized it wasn't the alcohol I was missing, it was the citrus, fizz and mint. Deciding what you want, higher calorie but lots of flavor; lots of fizz and no calories; or no fizz – will help you pick the mixer. Using tea makes this a citrus-mint tea reminiscent of a lazy-hot-day-on-the-veranda in the South. I added 3T raw sugar to my pitcher of mint Sun Tea. It dissolves nicely in the heat-steeping process.

a couple big sprigs of fresh mint
juice of a lemon or lime
lemon-lime or grapefruit-sour soda,
seltzer or sweet mint tea

Tear or snip the mint in little pieces into a glass, then crush (mortar and pestle style) with a wooden spoon. Add the lemon or lime juice, a little sugar if using seltzer, and continue to crush to develop the flavors. Add tea, soda or seltzer, stir lightly and add ice. Makes 2 glasses.  (l to r - tea and seltzer)








Another easy idea for a bigger flavor punch is to use the prepared-sweetened Mojito mixers, such as Rose's. This is higher in sugar-calories but a little is really nice when combined with seltzer. . .Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment