Cold Brewed Coffee

If you're really a Coffee Person, you've probably heard of Cold Brewed Coffee.  I first heard of it on the TODAY Show.  Meteorologist, Al Roker, is quite a fan and has brought his coffee for his co-workers, who rave about it.  Since I've been making cold brewed tea for many years, and love that, I was interested to apply the technique to coffee.

It's a gentle, quiet concept that appeals to many - and - doesn't require a 'coffee maker' of any kind.  One less single-purpose-gadget to clutter up your counter, right?  Well, having now tried it, I'm not quite ready to pitch my little $18 Mr. Coffee - but - that could happen!  The articles I read say this process produces a smoother, less acidic coffee than standard methods...Yes it does.

In a 6c container, with a cover, combine:
  • 4c pure, cold, filtered water
  • 1c coarse ground coffee
Be sure to grind the beans on the coarsest setting your machine has.  Stir this together and stir a few more times over the next several hours.  The grounds will absorb the water over time, and sink to the bottom.  Let stand for 12-15 hours, then strain it through progressively finer strainers, back into your rinsed, original container.  To serve, fill your mug with 2/3 coffee concentrate and 1/3 cold, filtered water.  Heat, add sugar and cream if you want, and enjoy.  You can also serve it as Iced Coffee.

If flavored coffee is your thing, I think you could include flavors at the beginning of the 12-15 hour steeping time.  Next time I think I'll add 1t ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and 1t of Moroccan vanilla!!  Mmmmm!  Have fun with this! . . Lin
(store concentrate: refrigerated, covered, for 5-7 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment