Burgundy Beef Roast with Root Vegetables

Last time in was in my old stomping grounds, Rhinelander, WI, In addition to connecting with a whole bunch of friends I hadn't seen in a while, I made some really important stops.  I always go to Forth Floral, a HUGE greenhouse that's been a haunt of mine since the late '60's when we moved to Wisconsin from the Chicago suburbs.  I'm a Plant Person.  I love all growing things, so you may remember me talking about my wonderful $39 Kumquat Tree, (with 76 kumquats!) creating and sharing a recipe for Plum-Quat Preserves 😉 You'll be hearing more about My-Little-Tree in the future.  Being A Major Foodie, I also stopped at two meat markets, and Golden Harvest which is an amazing extra-large natural food store Rhinelander is SO fortunate to have!  I also went and snagged a few of Trig's Burgundy Beef Roasts.  Ohhhh, so good!!  I got them during a special they were running, at $3 off per pound!  They're the best beef roasts I've ever tasted.


While my little 2¼ pounder, was thawing, I scrubbed and rough-chopped the vegetables.  They're now seasoned and marinating in a mix of Rosemary EVOO, 18 year old Balsamic Vinegar and a good big sprinkle of my Rosemary Seasoning.  I'm tossing those around every half hour or so, just to be sure each piece stays well seasoned.

1 lg. onion
2 giant size carrots
5 med. red potatoes
some green onion tops.

Ready to Cook

Once the roast is thawed, move the vegetables to the edges, putting the meat in the very center of the pan.  It should be crowded.  This way everything will cook and all the juices blend together better.  I'm ignoring the directions for cooking the Burgundy Beef, it's usually done at high heat, but ridiculously low amount of time!  I want this to cook just a bit slower, but get the meat to medium rare or medium at most.

Cooked Just Right! 😊

Put this into a preheated, 400⁰ oven, with just a cup of water drizzled over everything for 20 minutes, uncovered.  Turn the heat to 325⁰ cover and cook another 20 minutes.  I tend to overcook just about everything, so this was a nice surprise.



Slice just what you need.  Serve with the roasted vegetables and au jus.  Next time, slice and plate the meat.  Put the leftover vegetables in a medium glass bowl.  Heat them in the microwave, do a rough mash adding a little sour cream with fresh cut herbs and butter.  Spoon over the meat and heat before serving.

Mmmm. . .I decided to skip day one and go with my second idea!


If there's still leftover meat. . .another way to fix it would be cube  it and toss with hot cooked linguini and sliced mushrooms, with a sauce made of meat drippings, a bit of butter, water or red wine and sour cream.  Mmmm again!  Burgundy Beef Stroganoff!!  I love making a beef roast, whole chicken or turkey and then dreaming up fun ideas for the leftovers.

Be Bold - Be Creative - Happy Cooking. . .Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment