Another Bone Broth your animals will love!

I was curious about which seasonings were beneficial - and not - for our animals. I've found A.I. to be a helpful resource for such things. This is what I learned. . .With these cautions and suggestions in mind, I made this bone broth:

I should note that I've found that, by far, my healthiest bone broth begins with really good quality, pasture raised chickens. If I don't buy a whole chicken, the leg quarters seem to have the most collagen and I prefer dark meat, so this works well for me. Regarding collagen, bone broth made without chicken feet is far more watery than one made with them (more solid = more collagen) so they are a wonderful ingredient to add to the process. If you've found some, do a search for the recipes here and refer to those instructions.


Having said all that, I have to admit, I really love Costco's rotisserie chickens. Sadly though, I'm pretty sure they don't fall into the healthiest category. I used one of those this time, but didn't have chicken feet, so on a scale of 1-10, even with the healthy seasonings, this one gets a 6.

I simmered the skin and bones with the A.I. suggestions: black + cayenne pepper, fresh ginger, turmeric, dried parsley, dry oregano and yes, a little ground cinnamon! This all simmered on low heat for a couple hours last night. Then I scooped out and discarded the solids, strained it well and chilled it overnight. . .This morning I scraped and blotted the fat off the top, heated the (not-very-well-jelled) bone broth to a steamy point, just below a bubbling simmer, then poured and sealed it in the glass containers shown.


This is not 'shelf stable' at room temperature, processed in this way, but will keep nicely a couple weeks in your 'fridge.

Despite the lower collagen content, this one will be a great option to use as a soup base, for sauteing meat or vegetables - or as I intended it - a great addition to my sweet dog and cat's daily food. . .Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment