Creamy Six-Onion Soubise Soup

3 med.-large sweet onions
1 med. white onion
½ lg. purple onion
3 lg. purple shallots
3-4T butter
⅛t cayenne pepper
¼t finely ground black pepper
1t Alderwood-smoked sea salt
2T beef soup base
½c dry white wine
8 green onions
6 lg. cloves of garlic
6oz. coconut milk
8oz. sour cream 

Well, this is for sure my first attempt at 'Soubise' and I also think possibly my first at any sort of Onion Soup!  I have to say, I'm happy with the results and would make this recipe again.  

Halve, then quarter the larger onions, halve the shallots, slice and combine everything in a cast iron Dutch oven, along with the butter.  Cook and caramelize, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a golden brown.  (This will create a heartier soup, but today I omitted this step, opting for a more simple, onion flavor.)  I instead I added the seasonings, soup base, and wine*, and simmered to bring out all the flavors for about a half hour.  If you're caramelizing, *hold off on the wine until the next step.  Add the sliced green onions and minced garlic now (and the wine). 


Cover again and simmer another 20 minutes.   Pour in 16-24oz. water, stir and again bring to a simmer, cooking another 20 minutes covered.  Just before serving, stir in the coconut milk and sour cream, check the flavors, making any corrections necessary.  Also, use an immersion blender now if you'd like a smoother soup.


This would be perfect on a chilly day, with hot, crusty bread and a nice big tossed salad!  A big bowl of this and a salad is "what's for dinner" for me tonight 😋 . . . Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment