Red and Green--it's not just for Christmas anymore!

After cleaning my kitchen, my plan was to make a new salad mix using herbs, green cabbage, red butter lettuce, spinach and some baby romaine.  However, I had already used the red butter lettuce.  Not being one to run to the store for just an ingredient or two (even though it's only a 7 minute drive from my house) I decided to just use what I have.  A word of caution - most of the chefs I watch on TV insist red (purple) onion is sweet.  I disagree.  If this is your first time using one, you might want to keep it a little light unless you really like strong onion flavor.




1/4 head (heavy tight head) green cabbage
      sliced then cubed if you want
4-8oz  fresh spinach
1    baby romaine - slice twice lengthwise
      then cut into 1" cross-sections
1/2 big red (purple) onion sliced and cubed
Combine the cabbage, spinach and romaine in the basket of your salad spinner.  Wash and spin it several times.  When dry, add onion.  I also added some herbs.  Shown here from l-r are lemon thyme, Genovese basil, boxwood basil.  This mixture, without the tomato and avocado, will keep 5-7 days, covered, in the refrigerator.


When it's Salad Time, grab a handful of this mix and add whatever other fresh things you want that sound good.



Today it's half of that big juicy tomato, half an avocado and half a can of drained-rinsed black beans.  Also a splash of my Lemon-Oil Dressing and some fresh ground pepper.  MMmmm it was good!  :o) . . . Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment