A Big Salad Mix

"Hard Ingredients" - - Ready to be made into A Salad!
I've been calling these 'Lettuce Mixes' for years now, but that goes back to a time where I was using a couple types of lettuce and maybe one other ingredient like cabbage or spinach.  Today, there's no way I can just call this a lettuce mix.  A Salad Mix is best when made with only 'hard' ingredients, such as what are listed below.  When done right, these will keep for up to 5 days after washing well then spinning dry in a good salad spinner.  I've mentioned mine several times.  They don't have to be expensive.  

Mine is a Progressive Salad Spinner, available at Bed Bath and Beyond * and Walmart for under $10.00!  (They're also available at Amazon, however, Amazon charges twice as much.)  I've had a couple different ones over this years and this is by far my favorite.

Today's mix, shown in the photo above, consists of: romaine, cabbage, onion, radish and carrot as 'Hard Ingredients.'  Don't add wet or mushy ingredients like hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, etc., until just before you're serving a salad.  To this basic mix, for an early dinner tonight, I added: cucumber, and for protein: lentil sprouts, small red beans, cashews, and cubed parmesan cheese.  I splashed on a little Mango Chipotle Vinaigrette dressing that really woke up the flavors.  It was delicious! 😋 . . .Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment