Bacon,Bacon,Bacon!!

Years ago, I lost 40# in 3 months by following the Atkin's Diet.  It worked well for me, and if I remember right, I felt good during that time, but I gained back the weight I had lost, within a year.  I had gone from 152# - an all-time high for me - down to 112# which was WAY too low!  It was a quick fix, not a sustainable life-style change.  The main principles of Atkin's are, low-to-no-carbs, lots of healthy vegetables, salads, meat, fats and water.  Gotta drink quite a bit of water to push the toxins through.


Recently, I feel I've sort of rediscovered bacon, which was a big part of my Atkin's experience.

I found a bag of fried, crumbled bacon in one of my grocery store adventures a while ago, but sadly, can't remember which store.  A 2# bag was right around $12.00.  I used it in several breakfast egg bakes, a potato salad and a potato-corn chowder.  Then a couple months ago, I found 2# of locally raised bacon for just over $6.00.  Well now. . .  A project!

Projects are always money-saving, right??  Well, sadly, in this case, I discovered that 2# of raw, smoked bacon, after cooking, water evaporation, fat draining, only yielded. . .are you ready for this? . . .8oz. of crispy-cooked bacon!!

So, for me to duplicate that $12.00 2# bacon bag. . .I would need 8# - $26.00 worth of raw bacon and I'd be left with a very smokey kitchen!!!  Time to talk to some grocery department managers and find those precooked packages of wonderful, crispy bacon again!!  However if you're up for it, somehow, make your own! . . . Lin  

No comments:

Post a Comment