Purple Orange and Green Coleslaw


2 stalks celery + tops
6 green onions
1 big carrot
¾t black pepper
⅓t cayenne pepper
2t white balsamic vinegar

⅓ med. purple cabbage
½ lg. green cabbage

⅓c poppy seed dressing
1t-1T more w.b. vinegar
a splash of water


Ohhh, I love coleslaw!! It's something I crave, regularly. I keep saying someday, I'll try making the kind my mom made, with green cabbage, crushed pineapple and mayonnaise (onion? sugar? carrot? celery? salt and pepper?) I don't have her recipe, but hey. . .I've been known to wing it a time or two! 😉 Yet every time the craving hits, I go back to the basic one I created years ago, with slight variations, of course.

Coleslaw with Tuna Steak and Chipotle Ranch Sauce 
Today I sliced, chopped, and shredded the first ingredients into a big bowl. Seasoned it, then sprinkled it with white balsamic vinegar.  Heinz Salad Vinegar is another favorite of mine if you don't have White Balsamic. Toss this, then let it stand while you slice the cabbage VERY thin. Mix everything together, in an extra large bowl. Check your poppy seed dressing, most are pretty thick. If so, thin it out with more vinegar and a splash of water. Pour this over everything combined in the big bowl. Don't over-dress - it should just barely coat everything. Mix and chill, or just let it stand at room temperature for an hour, before serving.
Toss well before serving.  This goes great with just about everything! . . .Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment