Quick Tiny-Potato Salad


1# of tiny (quarter size) potatoes
3 stalks of celery + leafy tops
6 green onions
¼ lg. red pepper
1 hard boiled egg

Scrub the potatoes. Cut them in half or quarters, cover with fresh cold water and gently simmer 5-10 minutes. DON'T overcook! You don't want them mushy. Meanwhile, chop and stir the other ingredients in this group, together, in a glass bowl. Check the potatoes for doneness with the tip if a sharp knife. Drain them in a colander, then combine with the vegetables.

In a small bowl, whisk together the following ingredients:

Instead of sugar this time, I added a couple tablespoons of German Style
Pickle juice. These are great pickles. I found them at Aldi.
They're small, mildly sweet dill pickles.

½c +/- mayonnaise
½c +/- sour cream
2T +/- seedy brown mustard
1-2t (dark green) dry dill
2-3 chopped German Style Pickles
salt, pepper, sugar

Pour or spoon this over the potatoes and vegetables. Serve now, warm, or chill it for later.

This recipe came about suddenly. I wasn't planning to make potato salad. I'm gonna say, it's all The Traveling Smoked 🐓Chicken's🐔 fault! 😉

Last time I was on my way to visit friends in Wisconsin, I stopped at the Lake Tomahawk Meat Market, for a half hour of pre-shopping. I scoped everything out so I'd know what I wanted to buy on my way home again, in a few days. I stopped again, on the journey back, with the dogs in the car and about $400.00 worth of things I bought at a couple favorite grocery stores, Golden Harvest--an amazing, HUGE co-op type, natural food store in Rhinelander, WI--as well as meat, rice and unique pasta from Bessey's Meat Market. At the Lake Tom. market, I bought a giant frozen leg-of-lamb that they sliced in half, like a knife through butter, and hermetically sealed in thick plastic for me. I bought a few other things, including...my most exciting find...Three Whole Smoked Chickens!!

I had plans for two of them, but promised one to my daughter. She had it a day or so then called to tell me she just wasn't sure she wanted it. I told her to freeze it and think about it. If she changed her mind she could just give it back to me. Last time I was at her house for a visit, she put together a bag of books and odds and ends she wanted me to have. Then we remembered the chicken. Into the bag it went. I was really tired when I got home. I plunked the bag down in my dining room.


The next day I noticed my cat, Daphne, paying a lot of attention to the bag. Ohhhhh, noooo, I forgot about the chicken!! Nicely thawed now, sooo, into the 'fridge with it. I made this potato salad to go with the chicken. I've had them together several times in the last couple days.

The chicken is SO good! It fully 'cooks' during the smoking, so you just cut off what you want and eat it cold, or warmed up a bit. I made a smoked chicken and egg thing for breakfast the other day with a shallot, more of that red pepper with a little ranch dressing on top. I've saved the skin and bones, and I think I'll make a smoky bone broth, add some of the chopped breast meat, tiny red beans and wild rice, more onion, peppers.

Ahhhh, Smoky Chicken Soup!!
Stay tuned - That might just happen soon. . .Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment