Shepherd's Pie

I've never made one of these.  My sweet, tiny little Grandma, whose maiden name was Shepherd, was from England.  I think she may have made this once or twice when I was very young, but my memory of that is foggy.  I wasn't sure I even had the right idea about what they are.  I did a quick Google search and found that my idea was far more complicated, but decided to go with it anyway.  I made a meatloaf base, separate from the vegetables and topped, 'frosted' it all with mashed potatoes, so 3 layers total.  This mades a lot of food, which was a good thing for today.  The largest container is for a big family I know.  I gave one of the little ones to a friend who stopped over earlier, and the other one is for me.  This made 20 servings, so it's a good thing to make for a hungry crowd.


MEAT LOAF LAYER

Start with the vegetables.

Chop the vegetables, then break up all the meat and mix everything together in a giant bowl, with your hands.

a BIG handful of fresh spinach
tops from a bunch of green onion
1 med. yellow or white onion
1 colorful sweet pepper
5-6 lg. cloves of garlic
½T Himalayan pink salt
½T Tellicherry black pepper

2# lean ground beef
1# ground turkey
1# ground pork or chicken

In a medium bowl, mix together what I call 'the glop.'
1½c rolled oats
-or- quick steel cut oats
3 lg. eggs
6oz. sour cream + 6oz. water


After 15 minutes or so, the oats should absorb enough that a spoon will stand up when the perfect level of gloppiness is achieved 😉

Bake this in well greased or parchment paper lined baking pans, in a 350° oven for 50-60 minutes.  Drain off any accumulated grease.  Prepare the vegetables and potatoes next.  When the meat is cooled, cut it into individual size servings.

VEGETABLE LAYER

Chop or slice, then cook your vegetables so they're crisp-tender. Drain and save the cooking water for soup, give it to your dogs or pour it in a cup and drink it. Cover the
meat layer with the vegetables. Today I had a colorful mix of:

1½# scrubbed carrots
2-3c cauliflower florets
12oz. frozen French cut beans
some radishes

MASHED POTATO TOPPING

Scrub 3# of potatoes.  The Yukon Gold's were nice, so I didn't peel them.  I just cut away any bad places and cut them into ½" cubes.  Steam-cook them until they're mashable.  Drain the water, season with salt and pepper, add butter and sour cream.  Put the cooked vegetables on top of the cut meat layer, then cover everything with the mashed potatoes.  Sprinkle the top with seasonings if you want and broil on low, until the top browns.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle on some shredded cheese.   Comfort Food! . . Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment