A Wonderful 10:30 Breakfast-Lunch

I don't crave bread like so many of my carb-loving friends.  Same is true for potatoes, rice. Yet, once in a while I do, so for those times, I buy a loaf of Ezekiel Bread.  It's made from flour of sprouted grain, and I freeze it.  It will often last me 3 months, taking out only 2 slices at a time (160 calories).   Just before it's gone I always replace it, for those craving days when a little good grain is exactly what I want. A while ago, I read how healthy sourdough bread is and came up with all sorts of healthy additions for mine.  corn flour, ground flax and chia seed blends, oat bran. . .but I suck at making anything sourdough, so I think I'm done with that idea.

Lately though, in my quest for healthy eating options, I'll crave this for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I love eggs, but stay away from pancakes, waffles and cereal, other than really good granola.  My plan, since 2 'meals' a day works well for me, as does intermittent fasting, is to eat this in the morning just before noon, then have a plain Greek yogurt, frozen fruit and juice smoothie sometime between 4 and 6 pm.  Instead of a smoothie, sometimes it'll be granola, a little yogurt and chopped frozen berries. Then the hard part comes.  NOT snacking between then and bedtime.  Tea and water (and lots of discipline) will be my go-to's.

The smoothies are full of frozen cranberries, bananas, strawberries, dark cherries, pineapple. . .if I have a 'Cutie' I throw that in, peel and all. I'm not a peach or mango fan. Each time I make one of these I think, ahhhh. . .this is my FAVORITE EVER. . .until the next one.  Oh, they're good!  For liquid I usually use beet, carrot, pineapple or a little Blue or Green Bolt Farms juice.  Sometimes if there's already enough fruit, just filtered water, but often, if I just put all the ingredients in the blender jar and let it stand there 5 or 10 minutes, the fruit gives off enough of its own liquid.  I also routinely add ground nutmeg and lots of pumpkin pie spice.  At least 1-2 teaspoons.  After everything's well blended I'll taste it.  If it needs a little sweetness, I'll use real Maple syrup.

Lightly Steamed Carrots, Pickles and
Loaded Grilled Cheese = 350 calories
This is one prefect day for me regarding food.  Now I'll work on making other perfect days with more emphasis on vegetables and lean protein and add those as they happen.  Calorie counting was the way we kept a running tally on our food intake back when I was young, and this is still my preference.  Totaling the calories of a balanced plate with a little grain, fruit or vegetables, healthy dairy and something crunchy.  The sandwich plate is 350 calories, for everything shown including a little mayo spread on outside of the bread to toast and brown the surface, in a hot frying pan.  It's a 'loaded' grilled cheese, with tomato and onion. My very favorite sandwich! 

Dinner took a turn, it was vegetables, a salad and a square of an egg bake.  The smoothie will happen tomorrow and I'll add the picture and details. . .Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment